For 15 years the lab was one of the most innovative of its type in the world. Despite its small size, many of its projects became well known, including:
- the Active Badge location system
- the Pandora and Medusa multimedia environments
- omniORB - a very fast lightweight CORBA implementation
- VNC - a remote-graphics package installed on millions of machines around the world
- the Broadband Phone - a thin-client next-generation communication system
- the Sentient Computing project - taking context-aware computing to a new level
- CLAN - the 'Collapsed LAN' - ultrafast interconnects
- Piconet (later 'PEN') - low power embedded ad-hoc radio networks
- DART - multimedia data retrieval
Several other projects were spun out as successful separate companies.
A book written by Frank Stajano, a former lab member, contains an illustrated overview of several of these projects. Frank has made the relevant pages of the book available for free as a PDF extract (1.5 MB).